New Diamond Stocking Design
My original Diamond Stocking was quite a hit! The Sunny Gals have seen so many wonderful versions on Instagram. This year I decided to change it up a bit with a foundation paper pieced version! This version might be easier for those who had a difficult time lining up those pesky diamonds.
Here is what you will need:
Background Fabric - I used Robert Kaufman's Spring Dot, but any low volume or solid fabric would look stunning! If you are using a fat quarter for the background, you should have just enough fabric. Try to be conservative in how large you cut the pieces.
Various Cheerful Fabrics for the diamonds - I used Zippyboro's, Way Up North collection. This is a fun to fussy cut!
Make diamonds for the stocking front using foundation paper piecing method. You will need 26 foundation paper pieced diamonds to make one stocking (front) panel. You may need to adjust the number of blocks with the larger stocking. Adjust depending on your stocking template.
Here is a quick primer for foundation paper piecing.
1. Fussy cut the fabric for the center of the block - the diamond. When you cut this center fabric, make sure it is at least a quarter inch larger around the diamond.
2. Place a dab of Roxanne's Glue Baste It or a glue stick to the center of the diamond (A 1).
3. Next take a postcard or similar weight scrap paper (a Sunny Day post card works nice ), lay the edge of the card on the line between A1 and A2.
4. Fold back on the line.
5. Take your acrylic ruler and rotary. Lay your ruler's 1/4" mark on the fold. Cut along the edge of the ruler leaving a 1/4" seam allowance.
6. Take your background fabric or the fabric that will cover A2. Cut so that it is larger than A2 by at least 1/4" on all sides. With right sides facing, place the raw edge of A2 and the raw edge of A1 together.
7. Unfold the paper so that you can see the bold line between A1 and A2. Take this to your machine and stitch directly on the line. Be sure that the stitch length on your machine is reduced. I usually reduce mine to about 1.5. This makes it easier to remove the paper without tearing out the stitching.
8. Press. And repeat for A3. You will repeat these steps to add the fabric between A1 and A3. Continue for A4 and A5.
9. Finally flipped the block over so the paper side is facing up and using your acrylic ruler and rotary, trim the excess fabric from the edge of the block.
Sew the rows for your diamond panel together in a manner similar to the picture below.This is an odd shape, but it elimantes wasting some of the blocks. Just be sure your stocking template is completely covered by the blocks.
Pin your stocking pattern on top of the panel, and carefully cut out the stocking front. Follow the general stocking instructions - here - for making your stocking.
Add some great pom-poms or tassels for a fabulous stocking!
Remember to post your progress pictures or finished stocking pictures using the hashtag #sunnystockingsal
Thanks for Sewing Along!